From the very beginning, my Hubby made it clear that he hated Valentines Day so don't expect anything from him. His philosophy was two fold. First, if he needed a day to tell me he loved me then he wasn't doing a very good job the rest of the year. Second, he's likened the Holiday to sanctioned extortion - either you buy your wife a gift or pay the consequences for not doing so!
In all honesty it never really bugged me - maybe it's the two bouquet of flowers he has sent me every single year for 13 years - three days before Valentines Day, but NEVER on V Day! Or the "Just Because I Love You Day" we celebrate with our kids every year over a special dinner with a small gift exchange just coincidently around Valentines Day. BUT, don't let any of that fool you because we DO NOT celebrate Valentines Day!
The funny thing is that in our quest to avoid the holiday it has spurred me on to find small gestures on my part to let him know that I do love him and it's not the Valentines Day giddiness talking.... It isn't about the cost, more about the thought and meaning behind the gesture.
Some of my favorites are:
- Writing a short love note on a Post It Note - stick it on his bathroom mirror so he has a nice surprise first thing in the morning.
- Finding a funny or romantic card and putting it in his car either before he leaves for work or sometimes I take his extra keys and put in his car during the day so he has a surprise "I Love YOU!" randomly during the day.
- Sending him a text message late afternoon to let him know that I can't way for him to get home because I have so many great things I want to share (hint not kid or Ex problems)
- Greet your Hubby at the door after a long day of work - even if you have been working all day as well - give him a hug - tell him your glad he's home!
- Invite your Hubby to breakfast or to join you for a drink in the living room - before the kids wake up or after they've gone to bed respectively!
- Or a corny love email like the one I shared last year.
I know for me the little things got lost in our first years of marriage dealing with all the usual challenges that face a blended family - as a result we found a lot of distance in our relationship. I've found it's not the trips to Paris or a cruise to the Bahamas that keep you close - it's the little things.... The more you put theses little love gestures out there the more your Spouse will return with love gestures of his own!
They're easy to do and they go a long way in keeping you connected to your Hubby - lots of smiles, laughter and togetherness. A lot of the things that brought you together in the first place!
Hope your Valentines Day or Just Because I Love You Day brings joy and happiness your way! After 13 years of not celebrating Valentines Day, my Hubby surprised me with a "Just Because I Love You" gift last night - some amazing ear rings - true to form- not on Valentines Day!
If you've got a simple way to say "I Love You" please share it with me in the comments!